Asheville residents do not have to worry about tropical storms and hurricanes often; however, we are close enough to the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts that the remnants of these monstrous storms can bring significant impacts to our area. Some storms that have affected us in recent memory include:
- Hurricane Hugo – 1989
- Hurricane Danny – 1997
- Hurricane Isadore – 2002
- Hurricane Frances – 2004
- Hurricanes Florence and Michael – 2018
Heavy rain and wind can cause a lot of damage in western North Carolina. Our terrain can even enhance the remaining power of dissipating tropical systems. If a tropical storm sets its sights on Asheville, residents must be prepared to protect their vehicles from damage.
How to Protect Your Car During Hurricane Season Asheville, NC
Our distance from the coast protects us from the full force of hurricanes and tropical storms, but our unique geography and topography present their own challenges. Tropical systems can bring damage to property and vehicles in a multitude of ways:
- Fallen trees and tree limbs
- Flooded roadways
- Washed out bridges
- Sink Holes
If you have to drive during a tropical storm, practice these safety tips:
- Weather-awareness: Make sure you know what is going to happen and when to expect it.
- Vehicle maintenance: You do not want to be left stranded by car issues due to improper maintenance.
- Alternate routes: Do not drive through standing or running water. Make sure you are familiar with alternate routes to your destination.
- Safe parking: As much as possible, avoid parking near dead trees or tree limbs and other objects that could become wind-driven debris. Also, avoid parking in flood-prone areas.
If your vehicle does sustain dents and dings from damage caused by tropical systems, contact DentFX. We come to you with paintless dent and ding repair services, so you do not have to worry about going to the body shop. We’ll get your car looking good as new after the storm.