1) Washing with Dish Detergent
This is a popular myth in the car world. Dish detergent is designed to cut through grease and clean pot and pans, so it makes sense that it would breakdown road grime effectively – and it does. However, it also breaks down your vehicle’s waxes and clear coat, ultimately damaging your car’s paint.
2) Myths About Waxing
There are so many myths about waxing, we are just going to collect them here:
- Annually: To protect your car’s paint, you should wax more often than once a year.
- Too Often: Waxing well protects the paint, so it is unlikely you will wax too often.
- Time: The duration of waxing is not as important as the quality of the application and wax itself
- New Vehicles: Though paint and clear coat technology continue to advance, new vehicles must still be waxed.
- Spray Wax: Some believe spray wax is ineffective, but this is not necessarily true.
Avoid waxing myths by using quality wax, tried and true waxing methods, or trusting the job to professionals.
3) Shiny is as Good as Clean
A shiny exterior is not necessarily a clean exterior. Even when your car is shiny, it still may have collected the dirt, grime, and debris that needs to be washed.
4) Use Bug and Tar Removers Prior to Wash
Bug and tar removers are most effective after your car has been washed. In fact, bug and tar removers will be mostly ineffective until the other dirt, grime, and road debris has been removed
5) When Painting, the More the Merrier
Many have believed that when painting a car, using more paint and more coats will help preserve the paint job, but this is not true. Avoid this method and paint your car in accordance with the standards set by your car and paint’s manufacturer.
6) Only Body Shops Repair Scratches and Dents
Have you believed the myth that a scratch or a dent is a guaranteed visit to a body shop? It’s understandable, but fortunately, modern technology and scratch and dent repair advancements have made it possible to avoid a paint job for simple hail damage, fender benders, and minor damage.
DentFX will actually come to you to repair dents and dings. We provide free estimates and can even work with your insurance company to make the repair as painless as possible. Rather than dropping your car off for an extensive repair at a body shop, we can have your car looking good as new while you’re at work or the gym.
7) Dents and Dings Will Require a Paint Job
You see that scratch that was clearly caused by a rogue shopping cart and you immediately start counting the cost of a new paint job. That may not be the case, however, as DentFX offers western North Carolina residents paintless dent and ding repair. Contact DentFX before you commit to a new paint job or lengthy body shop stay. We are here to help restore your car’s shine and make your car worthy of a road trip on the Parkway.